Thursday 4 May 2023

Direct to Indirect: Pronoun Changes

  • Direct to Indirect: Pronoun Changes

  • When you change a sentence from direct speech to indirect speech, you must change the pronoun(s) so the meaning of the sentence stays the same.

    Jon said, "I like your haircut." > Jon said he liked my haircut.
    (changes to he because it refers to the speaker, Jon. Your changes to my because it refers to the listener.)

    I said, "I like your haircut." > I said I liked his haircut.
    (I stays the same because it refers to the speaker.Your changes to his because it refers to the listener.)
  •  Click on the play button to hear the audio
  • Direct SpeechIndirect Speech
    "We are preparing your lunch," said the chefs.The chefs said they were preparing our lunch.
    My dad said, "want to speak with you."My dad said he wanted to speak with me.
    "You should join us at the gym," he said.He said that should join them at the gym.


























 Source : Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment