Thursday 4 May 2023

Causatives: Have

  • Causatives: Have 

  •  We can also use have with the causative. Use have to show that the subject of the sentence directs or orders someone to do an action for them. This is more formal than the causative with get. 

    subject + have object + base verb
    - We have the car wash clean our car every Saturday. 
    (They do not clean the car themselves. The car wash does it.)
  •  Click on the play button to hear the audio
  • General sentencesSentences using the causative 'have'
    The mechanic checked my brakes.had the mechanic check my brakes.
    The barber is shaving my beard.
    am having the barber shave my beard.
    A real estate agent will help me find a house.will have a real estate agent help me find a house.
  • Be careful! You can use have with the causative in many tenses. Use had for past simple, am/is/are having for present continuous tense, and will have for future simple tense.


























 Source : Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment